STANDARD: UPPER INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
Everyone Matters in collaboration with Benslow Music has established a network of nursing homes in and around Hitchin that love to have us visit them with live music-making. Care home residents who are too infirm to get out to a theatre or concert hall are offered an interlude of musical entertainment and a chance to chat over refreshments, a little moment of fun that can make a big difference. Clarinettist Margaret Archibald has been leading concerts of this kind since she was invited to set up this aspect of the London Mozart Players' work in 1989, and violinist Martin Smith was one of the first members of the orchestra to embrace this work. The two have collaborated ever since and they are approaching their 30th anniversary of working on projects together as we celebrate our 90th anniversary. This new course welcomes all instrumentalists and singers to take part. The repertoire will be chosen to suit the line-up, and course members share with the tutors the rewarding experience of devising a programme that offers our audiences the highest standard of performance that we can achieve in an intensive rehearsal process.
Tutor website: www.everyone-matters.co.uk
Resident: £280 Non-Resident: £205 Code: 19/20B
*BRING A FRIEND* If you introduce a friend who is new to Benslow Music and persuade them to join the course, you will both receive a discount on the basic course fee. This reduction does not apply to room supplements.
BMILS building – exciting news:
- Visitors to Benslow Music are alerted to work on a new building for the Benslow Music Instrument Loan Scheme (BMILS), due to start on 23 April 2019.
- Our normal activity (courses, concerts, events, Bed & Breakfast, visits to the Loan Scheme) will continue as scheduled during the construction period.
- The building, sympathetically designed by Jon Read of Pentangle Design Group, Hitchin, is to provide specialist storage for the BMILS collection of quality instruments while not on loan, more spacious administration and reception space, a generous workshop for our in-house luthier, and a trial room.
- The new building is to be located between Fieldfares and the beehives.
- Access to Fieldfares from Benslow Music will remain as it is currently, via the main drive (or beside Waldeck) to the front door.
- Construction workers (from the family firm of D B Sharp and Sons, Letchworth) will enter from the gateway to Benslow Lane close to Fieldfares and cross the current drive direct to the building site from beside the Fieldfares garage. This vehicle movement will be carefully managed. The site will be securely fenced, allowing for egress from all doors to Fieldfares.
- Work is expected to last until late October 2019, taking place on weekdays between 8am and 4pm. There will inevitably be some noise but disruption will be kept to a minimum. We anticipate very little restriction to existing car parking arrangements (but please continue to park sensitively).
- We trust that this will not have an adverse effect on your stay. Thank you for your understanding.