STANDARD: UPPER INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
James Oldfield returns to Benslow Music in 2019 to guide singers through the art of consort singing, and we'll enjoy some sight reading challenges whilst exploring the riches of secular music from Monteverdi to Barber. Participants can also suggest and bring favoured repertoire. Excellent sight reading and the ability to hold a line, sustain a phrase, and stay in tune are all essentials, and there will be the opportunity for singing one voice per part in small groups as well as a chamber choir. This course is ideal for instrumentalists who play at a high level and wish to transfer their chamber music skills into a vocal context. An enjoyable, relaxed and inclusive atmosphere whilst making music at a high level.
Tutor website: www.james-oldfield.com
Resident: £400 Non-Resident: £305 Code: 19/343
BMILS building – exciting news:
- Visitors to Benslow Music are alerted to work on a new building for the Benslow Music Instrument Loan Scheme (BMILS), due to start on 23 April 2019.
- Our normal activity (courses, concerts, events, Bed & Breakfast, visits to the Loan Scheme) will continue as scheduled during the construction period.
- The building, sympathetically designed by Jon Read of Pentangle Design Group, Hitchin, is to provide specialist storage for the BMILS collection of quality instruments while not on loan, more spacious administration and reception space, a generous workshop for our in-house luthier, and a trial room.
- The new building is to be located between Fieldfares and the beehives.
- Access to Fieldfares from Benslow Music will remain as it is currently, via the main drive (or beside Waldeck) to the front door.
- Construction workers (from the family firm of D B Sharp and Sons, Letchworth) will enter from the gateway to Benslow Lane close to Fieldfares and cross the current drive direct to the building site from beside the Fieldfares garage. This vehicle movement will be carefully managed. The site will be securely fenced, allowing for egress from all doors to Fieldfares.
- Work is expected to last until late October 2019, taking place on weekdays between 8am and 4pm. There will inevitably be some noise but disruption will be kept to a minimum. We anticipate very little restriction to existing car parking arrangements (but please continue to park sensitively).
- We trust that this will not have an adverse effect on your stay. Thank you for your understanding.