Philippa Davies and Jan Willem Nelleke return in 2019 to lead another popular Flute Summer School. Philippa is known world-wide as one of the finest solo and chamber flautists currently performing and plays in the Nash Ensemble, London Winds, London Sinfonietta as well as teaching at the Guildhall. This is a well-established friendly but demanding summer school for advanced students - post Grade 8/Conservatoire entry level - with the aim of increasing musical freedom, imagination, awareness and expression in solo, chamber and orchestral repertoire. Every aspect of technique will be worked upon in order to free up musical expression with particular attention paid to tone, articulation, breathing, improvisation skills and how freely the body moves to improve performance - Philippa is a licensed Andover Educator in Body Mapping. Please prepare three or four varied pieces. A ticket is included to the public concert given by Philippa and Jan Willem on Wednesday 7 August. This year we will also spend some time working closely with the singers on the concurrent course. There will be a combined masterclass on the Thursday evening taken by Philippa and singer tutor Sarah Leonard and a joint informal concert by course members on the last afternoon. Don't forget the 25% discount (excluding room supplements) for under 27s.
Resident: £490 Non-Resident: £385 Code: 19/407
BMILS building – exciting news:
- Visitors to Benslow Music are alerted to work on a new building for the Benslow Music Instrument Loan Scheme (BMILS), due to start on 23 April 2019.
- Our normal activity (courses, concerts, events, Bed & Breakfast, visits to the Loan Scheme) will continue as scheduled during the construction period.
- The building, sympathetically designed by Jon Read of Pentangle Design Group, Hitchin, is to provide specialist storage for the BMILS collection of quality instruments while not on loan, more spacious administration and reception space, a generous workshop for our in-house luthier, and a trial room.
- The new building is to be located between Fieldfares and the beehives.
- Access to Fieldfares from Benslow Music will remain as it is currently, via the main drive (or beside Waldeck) to the front door.
- Construction workers (from the family firm of D B Sharp and Sons, Letchworth) will enter from the gateway to Benslow Lane close to Fieldfares and cross the current drive direct to the building site from beside the Fieldfares garage. This vehicle movement will be carefully managed. The site will be securely fenced, allowing for egress from all doors to Fieldfares.
- Work is expected to last until late October 2019, taking place on weekdays between 8am and 4pm. There will inevitably be some noise but disruption will be kept to a minimum. We anticipate very little restriction to existing car parking arrangements (but please continue to park sensitively).
- We trust that this will not have an adverse effect on your stay. Thank you for your understanding.