STANDARD: UPPER INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
We join forces with the Lute Society once again for this course devoted to lute song, with a difference! This year we will work with Clare, Michael and Jacob on the repertoire of Elizabethan and Jacobean lute songs plus songs (part songs and lute songs) from the Stephen Wilkinson generation. Stephen Wilkinson, one of our Vice-Presidents, will be celebrating his 100th birthday year in 2019. All voice types and lutenists are welcome, especially tenors and basses! We will also look at lute songs and lute song arrangements by other composers, and will discuss the practice of creating your own lute song from a part song or motet, as players of the time did. In addition to coaching singers and lute players in an open lesson format on music brought along, there will be scheduled "special topic" classes, in which Clare, Michael and Jacob introduce participants to those areas which may be unfamiliar. The course fee also includes entry to a recital on the first evening given by our tutors.
Tutor website: www.clare-wilkinson.com
Resident: £410 Non-Resident: £315 Code: 19/345
BMILS building – exciting news:
- Visitors to Benslow Music are alerted to work on a new building for the Benslow Music Instrument Loan Scheme (BMILS), due to start on 23 April 2019.
- Our normal activity (courses, concerts, events, Bed & Breakfast, visits to the Loan Scheme) will continue as scheduled during the construction period.
- The building, sympathetically designed by Jon Read of Pentangle Design Group, Hitchin, is to provide specialist storage for the BMILS collection of quality instruments while not on loan, more spacious administration and reception space, a generous workshop for our in-house luthier, and a trial room.
- The new building is to be located between Fieldfares and the beehives.
- Access to Fieldfares from Benslow Music will remain as it is currently, via the main drive (or beside Waldeck) to the front door.
- Construction workers (from the family firm of D B Sharp and Sons, Letchworth) will enter from the gateway to Benslow Lane close to Fieldfares and cross the current drive direct to the building site from beside the Fieldfares garage. This vehicle movement will be carefully managed. The site will be securely fenced, allowing for egress from all doors to Fieldfares.
- Work is expected to last until late October 2019, taking place on weekdays between 8am and 4pm. There will inevitably be some noise but disruption will be kept to a minimum. We anticipate very little restriction to existing car parking arrangements (but please continue to park sensitively).
- We trust that this will not have an adverse effect on your stay. Thank you for your understanding.